Quantcast

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Sgroppino!


When I was in Venice, I ate gelato at least once a day, but never took a picture. I was in a rush to eat it before it melted! I had many of the traditional flavors, like coconut, pistachio, bacio, and Nocciola (hazelnut). I also had experimental flavors like fig, mint, and ginger at the excellent gelateria Alaska, which is like il laboratorio del gelato, but in Venice. And cheaper than both il lab and other gelato in Venice. Most gelato in Venice starts at one scoop for a euro; I think I had 3 scoops for 2.60 at Alaska. I heard that watermelon sorbet in Venice is great, but I forgot to have some-but I had some this weekend at il lab and it was delish.

All that said, one of my favorite venetian ice cream treats was Sgroppino, a slushy drink made with vodka, prosecco, and lemon sorbet and served after a meal with a few grains of espresso on top. Definitely something I'll be making stateside.

Sgroppino Recipe: from A.G. Ferrari
2 cups (16 oz) lemon sorbet, softened
2 Tbsp vodka
1/3 cup prosecco
4 Tbsp cream or half-and-half

Chill 4 to 6 champagne flutes.
Mix ingredients in a blender.
Pour mixture into a pitcher and serve immediately in chilled champagne flutes.
The sorbetto will separate if left standing.
Serves 4 to 6.

Addendum: Martha reminds me that she made me sgroppino early in the summer when she came over one Monday night to watch Six Feet Under!! Every day I am happier that my friends love the good things in life, and share them with me.